Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Trying to contain a hog population is just bad for everyone involved. Hogs will overrun your area even with an attempt to control the population with hunting. You will end up having to kill and burn or dispose of so many hogs that the initial investment will not be worth it any more and then what do you do with all the hogs you have left. Turn them free?? Kill them all (almost impossible)?? I agree with Hognut - eventually you will not even be able to give away the meat even if you kill and clean them.

I did a little research last night about wild boar breeders and ranches offering Russian Boar hunts, turns out Michigan has several places and Vietnam is making alot of money breeding wild boar. They have pretty good facilities as far as containing the pigs in concrete enclosure and such, the results are outstanding, even the local community supports this in Vietnam to help create jobs and the families are doing very well with the bredding operations. It's very interesting becuase the business is very similiar to the deer breeding business where you can purchase breeding boars, sows, pigletts, but the main goal is to do this in a controlled way if that is possible.

Site Owner
    If they were turned out into "concrete enclosures", I don't think anybody would have a problem with it.

The breeders have a good sytem of enclosure where the hogs are moved from one pen to another depending on what stage of development they are in, pregnant sows about to give birth to piglets are moved into indoor areas and the breeding boars are housed in large pens that are covered to avoid outside wildlife from distracting the animals. The bottum line is anyone interested in running a quality breeding facility can easily make an investment and run an operation on a ranch under 100 acres, from what I have seen from deer breeders there is some good money to be made, the bonus is the increase in quality animals available to produce and sell to others for release onto private ranches.

I am all about science, but I am all about "WILD" hogs at the same time. Wouldn't these hogs be a little less than wild??? Just thinking out loud here!!!

Good point Hogdude1234 and according to the Breeder's website the hogs are guarantee to be aggressive due to the "Russian Boar" bloodline. The way that these hogs have to be pen raised and inside larger (30 acres) confined sections there is always the possibility that the natural insticts or "Wild" qualitites of any animal could be reduced, those would make for some good scientific research for Breeding Deer and Hogs.