Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Scientific breeding of Wild Pigs

I like to start a discussion about how everyone feels about importing or breeding superior wild pigs and releasing onto your private hunting grounds similiar to how the deer breeding industry in Texas has exploded. Economically, the scientific breeding businnes in Texas isincreasing and producing some impressive animals, I would like to see that expanded to wild pigs. I have seen some websites on the internet that already do this where you can purchase wild pigs with excellent quality genetics and there are some hunting opperations that offer sporting opportunities for wild pigs that have "European" bloodline. I just feel that economically hog hunting is growing and has the potential to make a nice impact on the outdoor economy. Would or could expanding breeding capabilities for wild pigs have a positive impact on the economy and sport. I would like be able to breed and release wild pigs on several of our hunting properties just to improve the chances of shooting quality animals. I have seen this done before on ranches and the results are pretty amazing. Most commonly here in Texas I have know some ranchers who trap unwanted pigs and move them to other areas where hunters can benefit from the pigs. It would make sense to me for TPWD to develop or promote these programs and have public lands available to hunters who can come in and hunt areas that have good populations of quality genetic wildlife. Just something to think about!!!

Site Owner
    I doubt that there will be much support for that. One of the many problems is that the hogs wouldn't stay on your "private hunting ground" or "public lands"....they would wind up in Farmer Brown's corn field or Rancher Bob's hay meadow.....doing what hogs do.....rooting. Most landowners have the same opinions about hogs that Ted Nugent does about criminals. He doesn't want "repeat" offenders....he wants "dead" offenders. Likewise most landowners that I know don't want better hogs, just dead ones. Another aspect would be"public safety". What's going to happen when you start seeing headlines like "Young Girl Attacked by Russian Boar While Waiting for Schoolbus" Something like that might work if it was done behind a game fence, like most deer breeding operations are, but not on free-range land, IMHO

What if TPWD would or anyone interested in developing these breeding programs were required to contruct high game feneces for the purpose of releasing wild pigs for hunitng? I am striclty looking at this on how in can be a positive impact on the economy and business opportunites. It seems to be working well for deer breeders who are selling good quality bucks for thousands of dollars. I agree releasing 350lb russian boars into public or private lands can definitely be seen as a liability, but I would love to have those suckers running around my ranch, especially 10 to 15 years down the line so my son can have the opportunity to shoot some pigs.

Iagree, that's how alot of the multiples of hogs have gotten started in tis country. From pens and ranches. Isay no way.........JMO

can you even keep such hogs in a high fence- they are havin problems here with hog comin through the high fence- they are trying to keep them out of the high fence areas here

I have seen this done before where an outfitter wanting to attract hog hunter's to his hunting operation bring in Russian boars for release and I have never heard about people having trouble with hogs attacking kids or hogs causing problems off the ranch. What has happened is that there is now a nice population of hogs that now have some European bloodline and they are some impressive beast running around the march areas near Nueces Bay. Economically, it had a positive impact for that rancher who was bringing in hunters willing to pay for an exciting hunting opportunities. I could see where neighbors would be concerned with the release of wild pigs, but it sure does provide some good sporting opportunity.

The whole nuisance hog population explosion starting from mostly well meaning hunters and outfitters expanding hunting opportunities. It is next to impossible to contain hog populations 100% and when they are loose there is no turning back. Even with us boar hunters now, we cannot even put a dent in their population and it is rapidly increasing. There are plenty of excellent hunting opportunities without further perpetuation from good intentions. IMOA.

Site Owner
    Amen......

Well said Tex!!!