Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I guess alot depends on where you hunt, I know on our hunting property in Duval County, we don't see hogs as a nuisance, but more of an economic opportunity and another quality animal to harvest year round on a lease that might not other wise produce much animals!!!

Site Owner
    I think it has more to do with your point of view....whether you're looking at it as a hunter or a landowner. It might seem like a good idea from a pure "hunting" standpoint, but a lousy one from an agricultural point of view. Landowners that make most of their income from a hunting operation might be in favor of it but a lot of folks will be against it, because of the potential damage to row crops, pastures, hay meadows, etc. Like anything, there are always two sides. Kinda like the new "Insurance" plan.....a lot of folks like it.....but those that would have to PAY for it don't!.

well said Gigem

There are always other view points to consider, and as ethical hunters we must consider the best interest of the environment around us. It is tough enough with the likes of PETA and other anti-hunting groups, for us to preserve our right to hunt we must protect the environment in which we live. It is fortunate for us hunters that the hogs are as adaptable and prolific as they already are, but we should not help them to become more of a threat to the environment.

I grew up in a small town that had nothing but corn, grain, and cotton fields, and I know that there have been some hard years where the farmers who had land near brush benefitted from hunters willing to pay good money to hunt hogs feeding on their crops. There is no doubt that hogs can be an environmental threat and destroy land, but is it possible that landowners who may have lost money due to bad crops or drought could supplement or even make more money by switching over their land to hunting operations? If hog breeding just like deer breeding has the potential to be a good money maker then why not support it if regulations could be put in place to ensure that those breeders maintained well kept fences or pen enclosures to keep the animals from escaping into other ranches. I know that there are already some states that do this and charge good money to purchase these high quality boars and charge good money to hunt Russin or European bloodline hogs on enclosed private land. My argument is, yes there is definitely a hog problem going on in many parts of the US, why not take advantage of it economically, though hunting and wildlife managment.

I have heard about places releasing pure russian boars as somewhat a form of birth control. Feral hogs will produce a litter of hogs averaging 8-12 pigs per littler Pure russians will only have 3-4 per litter. So they have been releasing pure stock to slow down the birth rate.

Thank you Aggiebowhunter, now that's what I'm talking about, looking for useful scientific benefits of releasing Russina or European bloodline hogs in a controlled manner. It makes sense to utilize the reproduction rate of Russian hogs to help slow the population explosion of pigs and their ability to cause damage. Does anyone else out there know or have heard of hunting operations that mix in Russian boar bloodline into their ranches or have seen similiar release of pigs for hunting purposes?

ggonzales if your up at 1:00 am tomorrow, try to catch a documentary on the Discovery Channel called "Pig Bomb". This might change your mind. I live in the Dallas/Ft worth area, in a city called Arlington. I think everyone is familiar with it. Home to the Dallas Cowboys. Any way five minutes from that high tech stadium they play in, I believe they call it JERRY'S WORLD, a jogger was attacked by a ferral hog in river Legacy Park. I don't live in the country, on a farm or a lease. I live in a heavily populated city. That means they are getting pretty ballsy. These creatures are way to smart and horny to be regulated behind a fence. I'm just sayin

I watched the show before and they got a good point, the fast reproduction of pigs and the bad tempers of Russian boars can potentially be a problem to urban areas. My Argument is more research should be done to find out if in fact the introduction of European bloodline with feral hogs is truly a danger to the public. I grew up in a town where Russian Boars were released just a few miles outside of town on a ranch and there have never been documented instances of attacks or many outraged farmers complaining about damaged crops, in fact that ranch did very well for many years offering top quality hog hunts.

I understand you are looking at it from a way to generate revenue to an area. Trust me I am all about new avenues of generating revenue. Don't worry if you don't think you have enough hogs around you now, just give it time. Let me put it the the way I see it. It's already a problem. The more you have of one species of animal or whatever the more competition you have. Which eventualy causes aggressive behavior. Kind of like when I had hamsters as a child and they kept having babies and we couldn't give them away fast enough. So what happened? There was competition for the space in the cage and food, so they began to get agressive and started eat each other, found ways to escape and eventually turned on me.