Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: baits

Mike, you sick freak....your a man after my own heart.

I had a bunch of hogs coming to my deer feeder. I added strawberry jello and they just flocked in. I shot one night and haven't seen them in weeks. They just flat out dissappeared. Over a period of time I have added a rubbing post, dug a hole and filled with sour corn, and here recently I put out sow-in-heat. Still nothing. No pics on the game cam, no tracks, ....nothing. I live to hunt pigs. Any suggestions?

Hello Fellows New to the forum and first post Hope that this will help and that you haven't seen it before but if you had print it for reference hog block « on: November 23, 2008, 05:51:12 PM » Quote Modify -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- They have these for deer. I made these for hogs. The goal is to place the block high enough on a tree so that the hogs can't actually eat it. The block slowly melts in the sun and humidity and drips down the tree. The pigs then lick the tree and/or eat the puddle of sweet stuff and corn on the ground. If you hang it in the shade, the block will last longer. It also will lasts longer in the winter than the summer odviously. They retail for $20.00 at outdoor stores. This one costs around $5.00 and is easily made from things around the kitchen and house. Recipe 5# Granulated Sugar 5 # Powdered Sugar 1/2 Cup Vanilla 1/2 Cup Salt 1/2 Cup Honey 3 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil 3 # Corn 2 Qts. Water 1 Pkg. Strawberry Powdered Jello 1 Cup Corn Syrup 1 Cup Orange Juice 1/2 Cup Syrup 4 Cups Apple Powder (If you can't find apple powder, you can substitute the water in the recipe with 2 qts. apple juice.) 12 Ft. Weedeater Cord $20.00 at Gander Mountain... Bulk Ingredients... Large Tall Pot... Large Tall Pot With Water Added... Refreshing Adult Beverage Sugars Added To Pot... Starting To Boil... 200 F... 300 F... Dry Ingredients Added Together... Dry Ingredients Mixed... Getting Close to 303 F... Dry Ingredients Added To Wet And Mixed... Poured Into Pre-Oiled Plastic Containers With Weedeater Cord... Boxer Wondering What The Heck Is Going On Allow 12 Hrs. In A Cool, Dry Place To Harden... Pop-out Of Plastic Mold And You're Ready To Go Instructions 1) Combine apple powder, gelatin, salt, syrup, vanilla, and corn together in a large mixing bowl and mix well. Set aside. 2) Spread a thin layer of vegetable oil inside the plastic containers. Set aside. 3) Cut weed eater cord into 4 foot lengths and set aside. 4) Combine water, orange juice, honey, corn syrup, granulated sugar, and powdered sugar in a large, TALL pot and boil over medium heat WITHOUT stirring until the mixture reaches 303 degrees F. 5) Turn off heat. Add powdered mixture to pot with wet ingredients and stir well to mix. CAUTION: When you add the dry ingredients, the mixture will begin to foam up and create steam. Make sure you are wearing some sort of glove before adding the dry ing. to the wet. 6) Pour mixture into pre-oiled plastic containers evenly. 7) Submerge middle part of cord into each container. Let containers cool for 12 hrs until hard and set. 9) Gently stretch out sides of plastic container and the block will pop out. It is now ready to be tied to a tree by your set-up. The one I bought at the store has lasted so far 6 weeks in the woods. (It hasn't rained alot though). It will be interesting to see how long this block last. Good Luck original on texasboars.com( hunting boars)

Anyone make some of that "hog candy" yet? Seems impossiable to get it to 303. Still boiling.

I've tried baits and attractants, but the only one I've had any luck with is Hog Wild.

Ihave no ties to Black Gold, but I've used it quite a bit and it works well. I put it out with soured corn and had 600 game cam pics in 4 days. Even after the soured corn was gone I had as many hogs lovin it up at the rubbing post as at the feeder. The stuff works. Vanilla extract works great too!

howie1968 wrote... on any make boar i shoot i cut the sac around his lower anatomy when you skin him it is where the semen and urine mixes cause a nasty foul odor when a dominate boar hog uses an area he will mark it with this fould odor. causing others to come into an area i freeze this stuff and when im hunting a domnate boar ill run a drag line of sow in heat and hang this sac upwind yeah it stinks but watch the big boys come in I'm throwing the BS flag on Howie!!! Show us a video Howie, I don't believe you!!!

OK made the hog block. Here is a bit of advise. If you think you have a big enough pot. You dont get a bigger one. Then when you think you have a big enough pot. Stop get a bigger one. The stuff boiled into double the size at 295 degrees and then ran out of the pot and all over the stove.Good news is it actually works as a great cleaner as well. I let the stuff harden up on the stove a bit then scraped it off with a plastic spatula. Pulled up some burn on stains that we have not been able to get off the stove. It was a sticky situation. It is cooling now and has hardened. Should work just fine. As far as dragging a sac. Well I will stick to corn to bring them in. Guess I am not that dedicated to getting the biggest boar.

haha coach if youd get your but down here and werent afraid of the dark id get video but.... problem is you are to scared to hunt with me haha