Wildlife Management

Just want to see what kind of wildlife management everybody else on this site is doing or maybe not. I for one am a strong believer that if you have the resources then go for it as much as you can. At several of our hunt locations we do the basics, mow, disk, cut brush, burn, provide water and food plots. But at "La Mota" we have several tractors and a larger piece of property to do more wildlife management. One thing that I am going to try and would like to get input back on is planting fruit trees such as apples, pears, and plums to attract deer and hogs to food plots and shooting stands. I read recently that this is an overlooked wildlife management technique that can have long term positive implications on attracting wildlife. At one of our locations we just pretty much leave it in it's natural state, but since we ahve not seen alot of wildlife running through there have a plan of action that we would life to implement. There are alot of old trees that have fallen down and the grass needs to be mowed and disked in lanes to promote native grass and plants to sprout up. What kind of wildlife managment do yall do at your leases and ranches?

Don't forget fig trees,grapes.honeysuckle,Muscadine and persimmon trees. If you know you will have the land for years to come I feel it's better to spend time and money on things that will produce for years to come rather than to plant food plots each year. Of course both is optimum if you can afford to do both.

gonzales i have the same problem i have one peice of property that is very under developed with fallen trees and dead grass. i really dont know were to start as far as managment goes as well.

Jordan I read recently that just by mowing and disking the dirt this alone improves the land to attract wildlife, they claim that animals like the metallic residue left by the plow in the freshly turned dirt, I know that our ranches look alot better when we take good care of them and remove fallen trees and keep the fencelines mowed and disked. It's alot of hard work and takes alot of time, but in the long run could attract more wildlife to your property. Another important factor is timing and going in the ranch and doing this work during the off season to not scare away the wildlife during hunting season.