Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FEEDERS

FEEDERS

So i have been pidleing with the idea to get a big 250lb feeder for the land i have in canton. I was wondering what you guys opinion is about hogs and feeders. and if they are a reliable source of atractant. i had one here, years ago and the cows destroyed it in a miss understanding about closeing the gate back , now that the cows are gone and i have dedicated the land to a hog hunting heaven i was wondering . So do you think it would be worth the money in corn and a feeder to bring the hogs in and what brand feeder would you recomend i have had many differnt brands and cant find a reliable feeder.

Build your own. Get a 55 gallon drum. Most of the time you can get them for free. Buy a hot water heater drain pan for a lid. If you can weld, weld on some support legs.If you can't they sell a band you can put around the middle and tighten it to fit you drum. Next either way you ad you legs. I would use the round steel fence posts. Again if you can weld you can make your own feet or you can buy them allready made. Last you just need to figure out what kind of guts your going to give it. Just get on line and research. I have access to a 55 gallon drum for free if you are close to DFW area. you or anyone else who wants it.

Feeders are the easiest way to establish a feeding pattern. Once established they will come to the same spot for generations. You can throw all kinds of money at feeders, but in the end, only the strongest and best built feeders survive. I build most of mine from scrap metal and 55 gallons barrels. I do invest in a good timer, motor, and solar power setup for a near maintenance free setup. Feed heavily until feed pattern is established, then a trickle of corn will keep 'em coming every night to check. Since they multiply so fast, you will have third generation pigs visiting in about a year's time. There is a setup on my lease that has been there for nearly twenty years and the hogs come daily, even if it hasn't run in a month or more.

Quote Originally Posted by hognut
    Build your own. Get a 55 gallon drum. Most of the time you can get them for free. Buy a hot water heater drain pan for a lid. If you can weld, weld on some support legs.If you can't they sell a band you can put around the middle and tighten it to fit you drum. Next either way you ad you legs. I would use the round steel fence posts. Again if you can weld you can make your own feet or you can buy them allready made. Last you just need to figure out what kind of guts your going to give it. Just get on line and research. I have access to a 55 gallon drum for free if you are close to DFW area. you or anyone else who wants it.
    Okay neighbor, I have been looking for a couple more 55 gallon drums. Let's hook up.

My brother in law gets plastic 55 gallon barrels and those work good for feeders, we build braces and leg stands to lift the feeder up in the air. But for hogs, you can't go wrong with the hog pipes, put those suckers as many locations on the property as possible and keep checking on them, ours have been getting hit pretty steadily.

What about the funnel inside and what is a good feeder motor to buy>

We use sunslingers with the solar panel, but still have the problem of corn jamming and the feeders not throwing feed consistently, hate that because I know the wildlife would come more consistently to the feeders if they were all properly functioning. We had two jammed last week and one empty another with a dead battery all in one day!!!

you can buy the funnel on line, you can buy the filter that keeps the cobs and stocks from getting through and jamming your feeder online, you can buy the feeder packages with the battery spinner and solar panel online or at cabelas, bass pro or academy (Academy is always cheapest). Just get online and search feeder parts. Look at the parts and maybe you can get creative and build the parts yourself.

I use 55 gallon drums and heavy duty steel legs not chainlink pipe like some do. I have some welded leg brackets and some screw on type either is good. I always put a set screw where the legs and leg brackets go together along with ground stakes to keep big hogs from moving the feeder, never have I had a feeder turned over by doing this. Personally I think that funnels are a waste of money and just take up space. I've owned several brands of timers, I like digital timers best for hog hunting so the time can be exactly where you want it. But, the most reliable feeder I have ever used is the Kenco Smart Timer, the only down fall is it only goes of at sunrise and 1 hour before sunset-however the Kenco is always on time and I have one that is 13 years old and still works great and also one that is 10 years old and it is great too. I can tell you that I would stay away from the quartz timers from remington, they are unreliable and eat batteries. Also, I only use rechargeable batteries or Energizers in my feeders, not Duracells. I'll tell you why not Duracells, I hunted a place that had 8-10 feeders on it and the feeders with the Energizers lasted almost a year and the ones with duracells lasted only 2-3 months. And those cheap 6V batteries are worthless. just my 2 cents