Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Roscoe's question

Roscoe, in regards to your question... Should there be ANY regulation on the trapping and release of pigs? Ihave to say yes. Hogs that are trapped should not be relocated to other free range areas. Ithink that hogs, no matter what sex,being sold to buying stations or ranches should be alright. Idon't believe that ranches being banned from buying females is going to have that much of an impact on reducing numbers.

nate wrote... Roscoe, in regards to your question... Should there be ANY regulation on the trapping and release of pigs? Ihave to say yes. Hogs that are trapped should not be relocated to other free range areas. Ithink that hogs, no matter what sex,being sold to buying stations or ranches should be alright. Idon't believe that ranches being banned from buying females is going to have that much of an impact on reducing numbers. You gotta alot more confidence in the ability to keep hogs fenced in than I do! I don't have a problem with "relocating" boars, but don't want to see sows getting released. I just don't think any good can come of that.

Ionce watched a fellow cut out a load of hogs because his area did not have a hog on it. He is currently a buying station. Now, where should tach point the finger? Trappers are closing their traps because buying stations are not paying anything(the ones that will actually take a hog right now) Wouldn't it make more since for a game to buy so that at the very least, hogs are being sold to a location where they will be killed? Maybe I'm just off in my thinking but some help is better than no help and if we can't keep a sow behind a fence what makes us think we can keep a boar behind a fence?

nate wrote... if we can't keep a sow behind a fence what makes us think we can keep a boar behind a fence? I don't think we can keep either behind a fence if they REALLY don't want to be there. Difference is, I've never cleaned a boar with 9 baby piglets in them before.

I've been staying out of this convesation, but here is my 2 cents. For us hog-fevered out of state guys, of course we want to shoot a big boar, butany hog on a ranch is going to get an arrow stuck in it if we get a good shot at it. We love your sport and only get 3-4 days a year. Good luck resolving the hog problem. I sure hope it doesn't end up where our annual trip to TX is not an option anymore!

I've been watching this thread too, but have now decided to put my opinion out there as well. I'm with Nate on this, i don't think there is a problem with both boars and sows being bought then placed in game ranches. Let me put it like this,would you rather see all of those sows in a game proof fence and reproduce witha small chance of gettingout if any at all.Or,would you wantthe wild sows thatcould of been in a game ranchto just further increase the populationby being free range and still reproducing. Most game ranches probably drive there fences daily so if there was a problem it would get fixed fast anyways. I've hunted game ranches before and normally there's always a road right along the fence for just that reason. So,I don't see them getting out often at all or not many if any. As far as that video goes posted by Mark.That farmer at the end is probably one of those guys who never gave accessfor hunting or trapping or wanted you to pay himto hunt them when they got bad enough he needed themgone. Some of those farmers complain but wouldn't dare letyou hunt or trap on there land,I've seen it before. There waiting for the goverment to take care ofthere hog problem for themI guess. Giving a guy access to huntand trap won't totally solve the problem but it can make it better. So if there problem withhogswas thatbad they'd take whatever help they could get. That's myopinion and I stickin to it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CODY wrote... Or,would you wantthe wild sows thatcould of been in a game ranchto just further increase the populationby being free range and still reproducing. Unless there is a different method you guys use for trapping sows than boars, I'm going to assume that it's the pigsthat determine who ends up in the trap. So my choice would be that rather than you turning the sows loose, that you either give them to a needy family or a needy coyote/buzzard. You guys may be right about the lack of realistic escape chances on game ranches. I have virtually no experience in that arena. I don't mean to ruffle feathers here, but here is my take on the hog population in the state of Texas over the last 25yrs. I have been in sales, consulting, and distribution ALLover the eastern half of the state since the early 80's. I talk hunting everywhere I go. 25yrs ago,virtually nobody talked about having hogs, seeing hogs, or hunting hogs. Far NE Texas was about the only area that I had any folks really talk about hogs at all. IMO, I don't think hogs coulda made near the progress they have made to over-populating the state w/o the help of trapping and releasing. Now I know none of you guys are advocating the release of hogs on free range land, nor havelikely done so..... If ya have, then shame on you. What I'm saying is, Ithink you guysneed to understand some of the sentiment around trapping hogs when many folks see "some of you guys"as a big part of the problem to begin with. Am I making any sense at all? All that said, I feel like something has got to be done to make it where trapping is a profitable venture again. Either that ora bunch of us folks with hogs are just gonna have to get used to the idea of trapping our own, killing them, and letting them lay. I don't think there is any other way to keep up with'em. The hunting most of us can do, will not come close to getting it done.

I've never trapped a hog in my life. I personally have no use for a hog in a trap. I don't need the meat and i don't like leaving anything dead that Icould be eating. I would rather hunt the hog and then ofcourse then I'd eat one I hunted. The problem is most of the guys that used to trap hogs and sell them for game ranchesaren't now. There isn'tenough incentive. Simple, people aren't trappingbecause they aren't making the money theyonce were.

CODY wrote... i don't like leaving anything dead that Icould be eating. I would rather hunt the hog and then ofcourse then I'd eat one I hunted. I hear ya. I shot (4) 75-100lb boars one afternoon last spring. I processed one myself and gave the other 3 away. Outside of big stinky boars like the one in my avatar, I have a "mental" problem with killing pigs I'm not gonna eat or give away. It's just the way I was raised. But folks likeme gotta get over that!!!! With the mounting pig problem, I'm not sure pigs should ever be allowed a pass if a reasonable shot presents itself.

That's right Roscoe, there's always someone who will take a hog or a deer. I shot way more game each year than I can keep up with. I know several people that are just a call away when I have more than I can handle. If a place has them bad enough and far more than you can control or causing damage then by all means kill and eat what you can and leave the rest. I've never hunted a place with hgos so thick that they were a huge nuisance and most places I hunt are in the farm countrynorth ofAbilene. Luckily they aren't to bad in most of that area yet. Belive it or not some areas near the Abileneareadon't have hogs yet.