Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I hunted for a long time south of Abilene near Novice. We didn't have them there until one of the landowners decided to introduced some piggies imported from the Waco area.

I deer and turkey hunted two different places near Lawn which is just North of Novice. Both of those placeshad zero hogs on them 8-10 years ago. I also deerhunted near Coleman 10-12years agoand it didn't have hogs either. They probably have them now. Most of the better hog hunting near Abilene I've done was north of I-20.

Ok Roscoe, you say you have been over the whole eastern half of the stste and back in the 80's no one talked about hogs. Ifind that odd as my step dad and his family were running hog dogs on horse back in Saratoga in the 40's 50's and 60's. Ican't tell you how many stories Ihave heard of the sowing up dogs in the field that had their guts cut out. This is where the term"piney woods rooter"came from. The piney wood rooter was actually a domsetic gone wild since at that time there were no livestock laws to speak of and those folks let there hogs raise on free range country. When they wanted a hog to eat or sell, they would go catch one, feed it out, and butcher it or go to sell with it. The domestics soon started breeding with the european hogs that settlers brought with them from over seas. Thus, the "feral hog"as we know it today was born and has been spreading over Texas and abroad. Now if you dug a little deeper, you would find that a few of the big name ranches in Texas back in the 80's bought several loads of pure euro's from up north. Euro's are what most folks call russians. They brought the hogs to Texas, opened the gates and let them go in hopes to let nature take its course and have a better looking hybrid hog. These hogs will have big shoulders, narrow hind ends and a mane that will run from the ears to the tail almost. Irealize you are educated in what you do but Ialso see there is a limit to your knowledge. You say you never cleaned a boar with 9 piglets in him....What's your point? What does that have to do with a sow being in the free range, at a buying station, or behind a fence? By the way, my feathers aren't ruffled,Ijust want to know where you are going with this topic.

nate wrote... Ok Roscoe, you say you have been over the whole eastern half of the stste and back in the 80's no one talked about hogs. Ifind that odd as my step dad and his family were running hog dogs on horse back in Saratoga in the 40's 50's and 60's. Ican't tell you how many stories Ihave heard of the sowing up dogs in the field that had their guts cut out. This is where the term"piney woods rooter"came from. The piney wood rooter was actually a domsetic gone wild since at that time there were no livestock laws to speak of and those folks let there hogs raise on free range country. When they wanted a hog to eat or sell, they would go catch one, feed it out, and butcher it or go to sell with it. The domestics soon started breeding with the european hogs that settlers brought with them from over seas. Thus, the "feral hog"as we know it today was born and has been spreading over Texas and abroad. Now if you dug a little deeper, you would find that a few of the big name ranches in Texas back in the 80's bought several loads of pure euro's from up north. Euro's are what most folks call russians. They brought the hogs to Texas, opened the gates and let them go in hopes to let nature take its course and have a better looking hybrid hog. These hogs will have big shoulders, narrow hind ends and a mane that will run from the ears to the tail almost. Irealize you are educated in what you do but Ialso see there is a limit to your knowledge. You say you never cleaned a boar with 9 piglets in him....What's your point? What does that have to do with a sow being in the free range, at a buying station, or behind a fence? By the way, my feathers aren't ruffled,Ijust want to know where you are going with this topic. Believe it or not, I'm actually aware of alot of that. There have been quiet a few articles written on the history of the pig problem in that state in the last few years as it has spiraled out of control. Now, Ididn't say that there were not hogs in different parts of the state 25yrs ago. What I said is that virtually no one was talking about hogs 25yrs ago. Hogs were not even on the radar as a nuisance animal 25yrs ago. As to the point about sows and boars, come on Nate,you're just playing with me on this one. Turn 10 boars loose in an area with no hogs, and what do you have?...10 boars. And, in few years you got none from the mortality rate. Add just one or two sows to that group and what do you have?...Alikely sustainable hog population. To suggest that there iszero added risk to turning sows loose, is just not realistic. As to where I'm "going" with this? I stated it at the start...what kinda regs, if any, do you guys think need to be in place? I already know what tahc thinks. What I'm interested in is what do the folks effected by the laws think. Is there any compromise to be reached? No hidden agenda in my question Nate.

[quote]As to the point about sows and boars, come on Nate,you're just playing with me on this one. Turn 10 boars loose in an area with no hogs, and what do you have?...10 boars. And, in few years you got none from the mortality rate. Add just one or two sows to that group and what do you have?...Alikely sustainable hog population. To suggest that there iszero added risk to turning sows loose, is just not realistic.[quote] Your not reading my post. Ididn't say anything about turning sows loose. Isaid let the game ranches buy them. There is a difference. Also, there is just as much a chance from a sow escaping a buying station as ther is a sow escaping a game ranch. All tach did was blow a bunch of smoke. They didn't do anything to reduce the population with the new regs. If anything, they are helping to make it worse. I feel like a broken record here, but I'll say it one more time. Allow game ranches to buy all hogs. This will help drive the prices up(I believe) so buying stations will up their price. This will motivate trappers everywhere. There is already a good supply of hunters and with more hogs to choose from, hunters will most likely come back often. If a ranch is limited and ends up shutting down, where is the benefit to that?

Thanks for the replies Nate.