Thread: Unlucky Raccoon

Unlucky Raccoon

This story starts with obama screwing me out of ammo. Last spring I start having a heck of a time finding ammo for my guns. The shelves are empty except for 7mm Rem Mag. I guess people around here don't need that much gun. I figure...I'll buy a gun I can get ammo for and justify a new pig rifle. Just the week before I found the Howa 22.250 at a local pawn shop. Again with the obama, I'll buy all the guns I can at this point but bullets....not so much. Now don't get me wrong, I can get bullets, they are just the most expensive brands on the market. you know the $54 a box bullets. I'm killing pigs...I need $14-$20 a box. Well I go to my local Wal-Mart and on the shelves are boxes & boxes of Federal 7mm Rem Mag 140gr. for $17 a box. I'm thinking cool, new gun. Sure enough they have a Savage 110 7mm Rem Mag with the accu-trigger, recoil reduction system, 3x9x40 scope & composite stock for the low roll back price of $340 bucks! I'm in! I look the gun over and it has a tiny piece to the recoil pad missing. So the clerk (my new friend) gets me a 20% discount on the gun. I'm now paying $272 for a new Savage. The $68 dollars I saved go to the new sling, swivles, bullets & case. The first weekend I pig hunt with the Savage I score. The shots a little low but the pig drops. I wait a little while and walk over to the slain beast and instantly realize somethings up. I hear trashing noises but the pig is not moving. I find the coon trying to get out from under the pig. It has no bullet holes in it. It died from hanging with the wrong crowd. Sucks being that raccoon.

Congrats on the hog.......and odd happening on the coon........good stuff ................Last year I had a very hard time finding ammo for my 7mm mag and they had alot of the blue box Federal 308. All they had at Academy for the 7 mag was the expensive stuff $45+ a box and very little of that. I shot the Remington CorLok and it was no where to be found so I settled on some cheap Winchester stuff which worked fine. I haven't needed to buy any ammo in awhile cause every time I saw 7 mag or 270 Rem CorLok at walmart I bought a box. I now have 2-3 boxes for each caliber which will last me a while cause I'm just a hunter and not a shooter. I have heard so many people say that the 7mm Mag is to much gun for TX deer. I have shot close to 30deer with it over the last 12 years and it realy doesn't do that much damage. I have seen 30-06's blow some seriuos holes in deer and yet it never gets this comment. I have shot deer with tons of different calibers and the 7mm Mag is by far my favorite cal. It works good up close say 50 yards and is flat shooting for those 300 yard wheat feild shots. The 270 is a great cal as well and a close second for me and women and children can still shot them without fear of the recoil. Honestly I think that the 7mm Mag is the best all around deer and hog caliber out there, plus it does well on larger animals like Elk and bear. Not trying to ruffle any feathers this is just how I feel. Compare the ballistics with other calibers and you will see what I mean.

I have all kinds of rifles my favorite is the 7 mm magnum.I sighted it in 25 years ago and have shot 150 core lok ammo since.Killed 8 elk with it and more deer than I have counted.Last year a Buffalo cow. I will take any sighted in rifle and hunt deer with it.Hogs are a little different deal.Need a little more anchoring down.But when I put that Leopold scope on something and pull that great trigger I know its going to hit where I intended to.Its a Remington 700 with Leopold 3X9 scope and its painted muffler green with camo tape on the barrel.Good rifle.Chuck

Oh ya, $272 for a new Savage is a great deal. I had a Savage 270 once and it was one of the most accurate rifles I have ever owned.

like the savages with the accu trigger, guys ought to try reloadin, it's the only way i can keep shootin the big bores. Lee has a reloader press kit {challenger kit} that has everything but dies to get you started, for under a $110.00.i reload everthing from 223 - 45-70