Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scopes ???

Scopes ???

What type of scope do you use? I have a redfield 3x9x40 on my rifle [.30-06]. Have not done much hunting with it yet(no opportunity) but have ranged it in to 100 yrds. Looking to possibly upgrade my scope, but not knowing much about scopes was looking for some input by those that do know scope. Any information or recommendations would be appreciated. If you recommend a scope please try to be as particular as possible. Example: instead of saying Bushnell makes a great scope say the Bushnell Banner 4-16 x 40 model 714164I [model is not required but leaves no question as to the scope in reference]. This way I can look up the scope and read why it is so great. Let me know your thoughts and input!

i recently put the Nikon Monarch w/BDC recticle on my rem 700 30-06 & couldnt be more pleased.i am handloading now & it just made sence. i compared it to swarofski, leopold, zeis ect. top of the line stuff & the nikon is by far the clearest optics i have looked thru. NOW i dont care for their lower end stuff. i recently took a boar at 524 yds. with it. the BDC takes out the guesswork of holdover. mine is a 2.5x10x50. i do ALOT of night hunting & it works awesome. the cost was $479 @ cabelas.

I generally shoot Zeiss or Leupold scopes. Both are great glass but I prefer the Zeiss over the Leupy for my mountain guns because of its generous eye relief. Either of these brands will sure lighten you billfold. About a year ago I was introduced to Vortex Optics. www.vortexoptics.com They are awesome. Relatively inexpensive and great glass. I have three of their Diamondback 3-10x50 rifles scopes and one 20-60x60 Nomad spotting scopes. I just ordered a 3-10x50 Viper rifle scope and another Nomad spotting scope. A new company in the optics world started out in bird watching and evolved from there. Field and Stream picked their Viper series Best Of The Best in optics for 2009. Beating out all the big named glass companies. Find a place that carries them and check them out. You wont be disappointed.

Ihave a Nikon Omega BDC on my BP and Ilove it. Ihave taken deer out to 275 yds with it already. That is saying quite a bit for a smokepole.

Nikon makes good glass but their service is not good. Drop a pair of Nikons off a mountain and send them back to Japan and seewhat happens. Drop a pair of Leupolds off a mountain send them back and youll have a new pair within the week.

Iwould hope to never drop my glasses off of a mountain. LOL Cause if they drop then so did I. Crooked Horn Outfitters you know.

txbhunter1 - I agree - when riding my atv or simply walking the field always have my binocs on my Crooked Horn Outfitters. so much easier than just carrying them - frees your hands to cary other things.

I like the fact that it does not interfere with shooting my bow when they are hanging around and are always right there handy.

I agree but if a swivel breaks on a sling or a spotting scope gets knocked over on a tripod your in trouble. I had my whole pack run over by a herd of elk I was chasing.Had an extra quiver of arrows there two they broke every one. You just never know whats going to happen.

I have Leupolds, Burris, Bushnell and Nikon scopes. If price wasn't an issue I would buy Leupold Vari X III but since it is I now buy Nikon Buckmasters and Busnell 3200's. They have been reliable and given me good service.