Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scopes ???

WyoHunter - you’re exactly right!If it was not for the price, there would be no post about this issue.Unfortunately, price is a major factor.That is not to say that I am not prepared or willing to spend some money on the scope since it should be a one time, and long, investment.To be honest I was looking to spend $200.00 - $300.00 for a good, decent, dependable scope. I guess what I was hoping to get out of this post was the scope type you use - and more importantly - why? Is it because of comfort, name, low light shooting ability, only have one kind of scope and have not tried others because these work.Or other things like BDC is the best, most accurate you found, did not have to get special scope rings to mount the scope, clarity of the optics, really good zoom....just basically the reason you shoot with the scope you have. For me it is because that is what was on the gun when my wife purchased it for me.I have shot several rounds through the gun and it shoots great, awesome actually, but felt that the scope that is on it is not powerful enough and does not bring the target in close enough - even at 100 yrds.I was looking to possibly get a scope that can bring that target in closer and clearly. Was hoping to get a perspective of the type of rifle (caliber) and the scope used with it and why.

Bud,in my opinion and my experience with the Nikon Omega BDC for my BP, Ibelieve it is the best out there. The BDC portion of this scope is outstanding. When coupled up with 150grs of 777 and a TCShockwave Superglide 250 gr bullet, Ican reach out to 275 ydswith confidence. Iam not sure about the other BDC scope out there by Nikon, but after seeing what Ihave seen with mine, Iwould have to believe they are just as good. The price is not that bad either.

txbhunter1 - I would have to agree that the addition of BDC to scopes has been a great advantage for everyone from novice to expert. I do plan to get BDC in whatever scope I purchase!

There are alot of other scopes out there that put the ranging reticle in their scopes but Ibelieve that the Nikon is the best of them all. It has not let me down yet. Irange the animal with my range finder, put the right circle on itand squeeze the trigger. Straps in the freezer!!!!!!!!

What type of scope do you recomend for low light viz for early in the am or late in the evening?

i use nikon's or luepold's they pick up alot of light

I use the Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-10X56 for low light conditions on my 6.8 AR. You get some incredible optics from this baby and eye relief that is second to none with shocking low light distance. It comes in red green or amber triangles in the fiber optics on the pin. I absolutely love this scope. BUT…it’s a bit pricey and won’t fit in most hunters budgets.....I have seen them as low as $650.00 on eBay and as high as $1250.00 in reatil stores. But if it does fit in your budget it’s worth a look if you shoot in a lot of low light conditions.

Last week my wife bought a Sako 243 on sale at Bass Pro Shop for $499.99. We had a Nikon Monarch 2.5X10-50mm mounted on it. Naturally I did a lot of fondling, sighting in, and dry firing through the week. I fell in love with that NIKON!! Today I went back to B.P. S. and bought me a T/C Venture 30-06 with the same scope. Can't wait to zero them in! My Savage 110, 30-06, with a Leupold Rifleman may become a closet queen for awhile or I might sell it if the new rifle works out ok.

I have this idea that if its got Sako written on it I am for it.Also I have a Nikon on my 30 06 and its great.I also have a Leopold 3x9 thats 30 years old thats has accounted for 8 Elk 1 buffalo cow no telling how many white tail,lots of hogs.I hope you enjoy your new rifles.Chuck

I have an eXplore that I bought @ the Houston Gun Show. A guy broke away from Nikon & started making them. I researched it before I bought it looking @ Leupold, Nikon, Trijocon, etc. The Fort Worth SWAT team is using them on their AR's. I love it-many a hog doesn't. It is strong, durable, good glass, lighted ret., w/ 98% light. I can shoot it with just moonlight on most nights. Paid $250 for a 3x10. They started out for AR's but checking their website, you can find alot of different models now.