Shooting hogs from a Vehicle in Texas???

From what I have been able to learn from several web sites, it is legal to shoot hogsfrom a vehicle in Texas. Please correct me if I am wrong. What I'm planning to do is drape 1/2 of each side and the rear of my van with burlap, that has been spray painted with Rust-O-Leum Camo paint, and use the top as a shooting platform. I plan on doing the burlap within the next week and let it hang outdoors to get rid if the paint odor, between now and the 1st. of Nov. If the weather turn foul, I can open the rear doors and shoot prone or sitting from inside. Hopefully I can find a location where I can pull my van into the brush and have only the rear half exposed to the pig pipes. Pictures of the top and rear of my van are attached. Any comments, pro or con are welcome. Thanks folks, Bob Riverrat

It is perfectly legal to hunt hogs from a vehicle in TX as well as any other game animal or bird. However it is illegal to hunt migratory animals from a vehicle. Look at page 57 of the 2010-2011 Texas Parks and Wildelife Outdoor Annual under legal methods. Or look at this http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publicat..._2010_2011.pdf

Thanks, Cody, I haven't checked the Texas reg's lately, here in Nevada it's strictly a "NO, NO". I'll check out the link you posted. Do you have an opinion on what I want to do with my van?? I'm running on a limited budget, can't afford a tree stand or a pop-up blind. Saw a fella shooting out of the back of his pickup on one of the other web sites. Thats what gave me the idea. Thanks, again. Bob RiverRat

"Hunting is permitted in the open or from a blind or other type of concealment or from floating craft or boat provided that all motion resulting from sail or motor has ceased". The only way you can legally "Hunt From a Motor Veh is on "PRIVATE LAND" . Read it closely, cause it may cost you your license.

The burlap on your van is a good idea since it is white and sitting in the back with the doors open. The biggest downfall to hunting out of any vehicle is the oder. You are in and out of a vehicle day in and out and so is any and all oder. Everywhere that you have stepped is on your shoes or boots and is in the carpet. If hunting out of your van is the most comfortable for you then by all means do it, but it COULD lower your odds of success. Me personally I like to park, change into scent free clothes and boots and walk to my stands. I park anywhere from 150-500 yards away depending on the property and the cover or travel patterns of the deer or hogs.

txbhunter1, Appreciate your response. I used copy/paste for this from Texas Huntin Reg's Legal Methods • Animals and game birds not classified as migratory may be hunted from a motor vehicle, powerboat, sailboat, or from any other floating device within the boundaries of private property or upon private water. Migratory game birds under certain circumstances may be hunted from a boat on public water. See the migratory game bird section for the exceptions (pg. 66, Lawful Hunting Means and Methods).g I think I'll be OK since I have been invited to hunt on 850 acres of private land. Thanks, Bob RiverRat

Cody, Thanks for the feedback. I realize that ordor may be a problem. I plan to use some kind of scent killer. Don't know just what yet. I used to have a Bow Hunting shop back in my home state of Penna.(left there and moved to Colo. in '72) and some of the hunters I knew used Apple Juice or the liquid from canned corn, sprayed around their tree stands to help kill any human ordor. Wonder if it would work with hogs??

Good luck man. Remember also, if hunting from the back of your van, your sight will be restricted in ways that the animals may sneak right by you in one of the many blind spots. LIke Cody states, getting away from the veh will offer you more advantages, better scent control and more of a field of view. The small little wall blinds for turkey hunting are not overly priced if nothing else. If you're not looking to spend alot, I would go and get one of those, park it in some brush under a nice shade tree and wait for the action to start.

Thanks, Gary, I planned to hunt from on top of the van where I would have a good field of view, more than from inside. We have a BassProShop nearby (where I used to work) I'll run up there and see what they have. Bob RiverRat