Pig Pipe Light Upgrade!!!

Realizing that the Red Duct tape wasn't the way to go to hold the Solar Lights in place I decided to use 4 1-1/4" PVC endcaps. The round tube on the lights measured 1-1/8", so I bought a drill bit and attempted to drill the end caps with a hand drill and holding them with channel-lock pliers. Forget it!!. Once that drill bit gets into the PVC it just grabs and jerks every which way. Then a light bulb went off in my ancient brain, and I took the 4 end caps to a local machine shop. There, they chucked them in a lathe and cut perfect holes. These people are hunters and re-loaders, and did it free. See 1st. pic, the center cap is theone I tried to drill.The 2nd. pic. is the light installed in the attached end cap. The 3rd. pic. is the center light that I added, which will face my shooting position. I used Latex Painters Caulk to hold the lights in place, this way if I have to remove a light for repairs, it can be easily done with a utility knife. Today I went to Home Depot, Michael's Art Supply and Office Depot, trying to find some kind of Red plastic to replace the lens with, but came up empty handed. Oh! Well, I have another month 'til I leave for Texas, I'll just keep looking.

Man that is sweet. I hope you smack a monster hog!!!

Cody, I bought one of those tent lights at Wally World, and colored it with a Red Sharpie, but couldn't get a dense enough Red to cast a very Red light.If I tried to put additional coats on,to make it darker, it just seemed to disolve the previous coat. I have it hanging from the ceiling in my re-loading room, and the 4 AA batteries last a long time. I'm going to try a Red Majic Marker. Bob RiverRat Life Member: PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)

Finally got what I think will work for Red Lens on the Solar Lights. A neighbor suggested using Red Taillight tape that could be bought at Auto Zone. Well the Auto Zone store manager told me they didn't sell it and the only place he knew of wasWal Mart. Well, I bought 2 rolls, 1 would be plenty for 6 lights, (2" X 72") ($2.07 each)but having an extra 1 on hand don't hurt. Removed the lens ring taped the lens and replaced the ring. Total time about 6 minutes. Simple to use just apply and trim. Need to let it charge in the sunlight for two days and then check the brightness in the dark. Hope the tape is not too dense to give good Red illumination.I'll post my test results in a few days. Bob RiverRat Life Member: PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)

Well, much to my disapointment the Tail Light tape was too dense for the Solar Lights. You could barely see your hand when held under the light. Well, back to the drawing board, guess I'll try to find a Red Magic Marker. Have to shelve this project for a couple of weeks as I leave a week from today to go Mule Deer hunting. Got to get my gear ready for the 400 mile drive North to Wells, Nv. Hunting in a new area for me so I'm going 3 days early to scout the area. Bob RiverRat Life Member: PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)

Red Sharpies work best.

Green Sharpie works great and the light shines green.

We set our camera wrong no flash and got no night time pictures and consequently no hog pictures,so they are definately nocturnal.We are going to have to work out the lite problem.I bought a bunch of the tent lites off ebay never really used them because at the other place the hogs weren't in my pasture anytime anyway so lights weren,t necessary.Green sharpie here I come.I sure could use some pork.Chuck

If your set on usin red try goin to a local florist and they have those little sheets of red green and blue plastic for wrappin the flowers up with then trim it to your light outside and put drops of super glue around the ring or diameter of the light and lightly press the plastic to it. The plastic sheet usually has a good tolerance to heat but just to be safe start out small. Just another avenue to try. STP