Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Youth Rifles

Youth Rifles

I am currently shopping for a new youth rifle for my son and have already made one mistake. I purchased a Rossi Trifecta match set .243 - .22 - 20ga. The .22 worked great and he loved to shoot it. The 20ga. we called the Hammer of God! It kick the s*** out of us. The .243 shot everywhere. It would be 20" high and then dead center then low and so on. The break over would stick so bad I would beat it with fencing plyers to get it to release. $150 worth of different ammo, new scope mounts, 2 scopes and 3 gunsmiths later I took it back to the gun dealer for a loss. This brings me to today. I have a Remington 700 .243 LT Youth set back but have also looked at several other brands (Weatherby, Savage, Howa & Mossberg). I don't want a single shot and I want to have something with the shim stock for growth plus the opportunity to purchase a full size stock for later. This gun will also be a pig hunting date gun. I could use any input ya'll have.

remington is a good choice, alot of different stock options {factory and other }to choose from as your son grows. Savage also has different stock options, Both are top line guns

From the choices you provided, I would recommend the Weatherby Vanguard youth.

My son shoots the Rossi Trifecta and has never had a problem, the only concern we have is that the 20 gauge does not seem to shoot to good, but the .243 is awesome and accurate for us!!!

I used to have a Remington .243 youth model for my wife and we liked it alot. I liked it so much I even hunted with it, and ended up shoting my biggest deer to this day with it. My wife never really hunted much so I ended up selling it to a friend and now wish I would of kept it. I will be lookin to get another youth rifle in the next 5 years once my daughter is of age to hunt some.

Seems like I keep running into good buys on rifles in pawn shops.I can't buy them because I am over loaded with guns now.If I was looking for a rifle I would start at the pawn shops.Good luck Chuck

Well now I'm looking at the Weatherby Vanguard Youth 7mm-08. It has great ballistics & removable elongated spacer system allowing longer pull (12.5" to 13 5/8") for growth. Over all length 38", adjustable trigger and a 20" contoured barrel. The Remington I found was $419...the Weatherby $432. Do any of you own a Weatherby? If so would you take it over the Remington? I own 4 Remington's and love each of them. I do not own a Weatherby but think I might like to. The reason for the caliber change is I have a Carl Gustoff .243 so I don't think I need another .243.

my daughter grew up shooting a remington model 7 in 7mm-08 -- she loves the caliber and gun, it is a low recoil ,accurate round.. great whitetail caliber, for hogs use a bonded bullet

I used a Rem model 788 .243 cal, best gun I ever owned, it's short and compact and has never missed a shot in the field in 20 years!!! Now my dad hunts with a rem 788 7mm-08 and loves his riffle

I own a Weatherby Vanguard and would use it exclusively if it was larger than .223. Highly recommend.