oklahoma game laws for hog hunting at night

got educated the other night on changes on hunting hogs at night in oklahoma. You can no longer use any artifical light source for hunting hogs at night, unless you have a "depredation permit" from theODWC. This includes any scope mounted light , feeder lightsor anydevices that emits artifical light. To get a " depredation permit" you can go online to "ODWC" print off a copy of the permit, have the landowner ot lessee fill out the top portion, with legal land description, hunters will fill out bottom portion. Then you must contact the gamewarden of that county and he will come down and look at the property and he will either sign or reject the permit. When he signs the permit, you then must mail it into the ODWC, and wait on conformation that the oermit has been received and filed. It used to be just for spotlighting hogs at night, but now they have come up with thisrevision of thelaw.

Site Owner
    It might be time to buy some night vision!

Are they doing that just cause it's deer season or will it be for the whole yr. It seems to me, that if they want to keep control of the hogs, it would not matter. Does the permit cost y'all anything?

It's for the whole year, " except for gun deer season - muzzleloader deer season- there will no night hunting with artifical lights allowed" Permit doesn't cost anything, just time consuming gettin all the information and signatures required to just file the permit

they call the hogs - feral hogs - there is no limit - only other restrictions are on public lands- state doesn't seem to want any part of tryin to control the hogs, we have one bunch of federal trappers that come in and helicopter hunt on the larger farms and ranches when they get overran with hogs

wow - I would hope that this will change once the state realizes what a problem they have created for the hunters. Good luck getting everything filled out right - don't forget to wait your 6 - 8 weeks it will take for confirmation, espceially if the ODWC works as fast as the Texas Parks and Wildlife.

You didn't get educated by getting a ticket for hunting at night did you.They will get over ran with hogs.I think Oklahoma is a pretty well ran state but they don't show it here.Chuck

no tickets, new gamewarden understands what we are dealing with in southern oklahoma, but still gotta file all the proper paper work. i have 6 different places thar i am trying to get permits for.

I have 3 different spots I am trying to hunt,2 are small wheat patches,there all close to houses and people.Two are perfect fir the big rpg light I have as it ends up being lots of area to watch.Ordered a destroyer off ebay will try it out next week.I am getting the urge for some wild pork bad.To hunt with lights all I have to do is call the GW and leave word that I am hunting.Don't want no problems with the law.Good hunting Chuck

GOOD LUCK HUNTING, WISH IT WAS LIKE THAT HERE