Angry Hog Growl/Gunt. Male? Female?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVjNPGWdwFI While not my video, I heard pretty much the exact same sound about 1:20yesterday morning while in the stand. I never saw the hog. Later I went back and checked my game cameras and the only hog that showed was a decent-sized nursing sow. I had been told that this sort of angry grunt is a male only trait. Does anyone know if this is a valid claim? If it is a grunt of anger, I am not sure whatI did. The hog grunted once whilst off in the distance and before getting close to my location. About 20 minutes later and very close, made the noise again but kept rooting around for a bit until stopping, giving me several of these grunts, then running off, stopping, grunting, running away further, stopping, grunting, and running off again to a point where I no longer heard a thing. Any insights into the noise and who makes it would be helpful.

Was hunting this big boar that was coming in nightly, of course he was smarter than I (never got him) but he would sneak in then give a low growl like he knew something wasn't right. Was always looking over the ole shoulder as I left every night lol.

Yeah, I didn't leave the stand for 2 hours after the last indication of the hog(s) being there. I heard lots of other critters, saw deer, coons, and dillos, but didn't want to leave with potential targets nearby and didn't want to run into any on the trail back to the truck. I have had a sounder coming in infrequently for the last several weeks and it has yet to make it the last 50 yards to my feeder. I think this as probably that group, but like I mentioned, the only pics of the night of the hunt that were of hogs were of a lone sow. It is a cool and disturbing sound for me as a city boy, and one I would prefer not to hear until I better understand who is making it and why. Over on www.wildhoghunters, I posted the same thing. One response so far and the guy indicated that sows make the same noise and use it to rustle-up their young when there is a problem ... as opposed to the sound being one of anger as indicated by the video.

I have heard the same thing several times, but 1 night REAL up close & personal! I came upon a sounder late one night, all by myself & had my hands on both my AR & my 9m pistol! The only thing between us was a small grove of yaupon. We were in a stand off as several big ones growled & the piglets squealed as they ran off. It all lasted a minute or so & they seemed to cover for the piglets till I heard them trot off. I was sure glad they left instead of coming through the brush at me! I have always assumed it was the sows protecting the piglets. I have never heard a boar growl, but have seen sows around & heard growls when they had piglets. Just my experiences.

I have heard the same thing several times, but 1 night REAL up close & personal! I came upon a sounder late one night, all by myself & had my hands on both my AR & my 9m pistol! The only thing between us was a small grove of yaupon. We were in a stand off as several big ones growled & the piglets squealed as they ran off. It all lasted a minute or so & they seemed to cover for the piglets till I heard them trot off. I was sure glad they left instead of coming through the brush at me! I have always assumed it was the sows protecting the piglets. I have never heard a boar growl, but have seen sows around & heard growls when they had piglets. Just my experiences.

I've seen and heard both sows and boars growl. Means they know something is up. A little bit of a challenge to whatever is in their neck of the woods......