Grim Reaper Wildlife Attractant Test - not impressed

A buddy suggested I check into this product. http://www.inheatscents.net/grimreaper.html He sent me a video of a guy using the stuff and it appeared to work well. The testimonials on the website are pretty amazing. People claimed hogs running into the area where the attractant was placed soon after it was placed, and big hogs too! My experience, not so amazing. I have had a problem with hogs coming in to my property on the west side (I have cameras that document their travels) and that come within 50 yards or so of my western feeder, but that only rarely go to the feeder itself. Hence the suggestion that I try an attractant to actually help get the hogs to the food and out into the open where they can be shot. I was very hopeful as the previous night actually had 2 hog make it to the feeder. If they were part of the sounder that was showing up on my west cameras, then maybe I could get in the whole group! I sat for 8 hours last night. It was a very busy time in the woods around me. I tried putting some of the Grim Reaper scent/attractant on a log like the guy did in the video near the feeder as in the video. I did this about 2 hours before I returned to sit in the stand. My stand is located approximately 45 yards from my feeder. It is set back in the woods slightly. The feeder is in a clearing that measures 30-40 yards across and about 75 yards long, but has three medium-sized trees in the middle of it. The feeder is close to one of the trees and is partially shaded by it and has been in place now for 3 years. When I returned later in the evening, I could smell the scent in the air. The smell is a bit lemony, not offensive, not overpowering, but it had definitely dispersed. I got settled in the stand at about 7:00 PM. Soon a doe came in and would not go near the log with the smell on it, circling the feeder and just getting some of the feed thrown furthest out. The doe appeared very skiddish, almost afrain of the small log with scent on it. She left and about 30 minutes later, a buck came, got to the clearing, gave several loud snorts, and went back in the woods. He apparently wasn't too impressed either. After that, maybe 2-3 hours later, I had 7 (SEVEN!) bucks in my clearing which is the most I have ever seen there, but most did not want to get too close to the scented log and some never came to the feeder at all. The bucks hung around for more than an hour. After the bucks left, I had two foxes come in to the clearing. Both showed an interest in the scented log, but one lost interest very quickly. Both ate some of the deer protien pellets, avoiding the corn that was on the ground and the first ran off and the second stayed and ate for a while (about 20 minutes). Only rarely do I see foxes. It may be that they came because we recently added protien pellets to the corn. Raccoons came. They didn't show much care one way or the other for the scent. The raccoon behavior did not seem any different than previous visits. Sometimes they come in and eat. Sometimes they just just pass through. I heard hogs in the woods around midnight. Most of the time, I probably heard only one, but I know there were at least two. They both made occasional grunts. One hog would call and the other would answer. Both were in the woods west of the feeder and west/northwest of me in the stand. At least one hog circled around behind me and then rooted for acorns south of the feeder and actually east of me, but I never saw him. I heard hog grunts over about 2 hours time. The hogs appeared to leave off to the west which was the direction they came in from. They never entered the clearing though two hogs had been at the feeder the previous night about 3:00 am. A little after 2:00,the deer returned and I figured the hogs were gone. There were two does. Neither wanted to get near the log with the "attractant" on it.After an hour, I packed up and went home. In short, the Grim Reaper appeared to bother the deer. The foxes seemed to like it. The coons did not seem to care. It did NOT attract hogs into the feeder area. I will give it another try later in the year maybe, but right now, I am not impressed.

I know from personnal experience that sometimes when there is something different added to a habitat that animals will not trust it until they get used to the scent or whatever is different. Even sow estrous(not very good results) or dominant boar(better results than estrous sow) scents. One things is that hardly ever are there instantaneous results with any product. Good luck, keep tryin. STP

You may be right, but that isn't the claim and the stuff is expensive to have to put out multiple times in order to get the animals used to it. While I didn't have any hogs last night, I had dumped out about 3 gallons of fermenting corn. That was something new for the deer and coons. They had no problem find it and consuming a good portion. Last night was also the 3rd night with the Grim Reaper in place. There is no indication on the game camera (previous night) or from my observations (last night) that Grim Reaper is doing anything. Disappointment abounds.

I'm sorry for the results, thats why I'm kinda skeptical about products like that. They claim to work like magic but nothin Ive tried has ever done that. Give me a corn, peanut, watermellon or cantelope field and I'm happy. They will eventually be there. All Gods best. STP

You know, you are absolutely right. While I didn't truly expect amazing results, I thought maybe it might at least help draw in hogs that were in the immediate area and it didn't even do that. Back to trying foods. They will come as you said.

Nother place I like to haunt is near fresh cut hay bales that have been stacked and are left in the fields. The hogs smell that frsh cut coastal or grazer or if your uptown alfalfa and they sure do come in. I have shot as many as four off of hay bales in an evening with my bow. They had already burrowed into the heart of the round bale eating out the core STP

If ya want a good attractant recipe pm me an I'll give ya one. Its not an overnight thing but once its winded they sure dont like to give it up. STP

Sure. Whatcha got?

hey im new on here, and i was reading a Lil about what y'all are talking about and one thing "call me crazy" but it works *diesel corn*....have you guys ever tried it??????

Havent tried diesel corn but I have soaked some cedar posts with diesel so the hogs will come and rub on just to see what size animals I am looking after. STP