October's Heating Up

My son and I hit the ranch this Friday around 6pm. To late to go out and bow hunt so we waited til 9:30 to hog hunt. Walked out to the double blind on a hill about 300 yards from camp and the brown boar was standing under the feeder. DRT! My boy jokes and says (so much for spending quality hunting time in the blind). He got to spend quality cleaning time back at the gut station. He went to bed at 11pm and I went out to hunt this spotted pig. I came in at 2am and crashed. Got up at 4:30am to go bow hunt. Center punched 3 raccoons giving me the stink eye. Jace had baseball games on Sat. so I didn't get back to the ranch til 8pm. To late to bow hunt. I wait til 10pm to go out. I needed the moon to get to my setup and turn on the hog light and be able to seen that I wasn't busting pigs. In the blind at 11pm and 1 1/2 hours later here comes the pigs. I counted 15 in all. It took anouther 20 minutes of following the spotted pig with the scope just to get the shot. DRT! Only problem....she expired in the nasty pudding mud of the wallow under the feeder! Not only did she die under the feeder, but the piggy twitch dance vaccuumed that sucker to the bottom! This stuff stink like S****!! I had one white ear to work with. I washed that pig for 2 hours just to get it clean enough to gut! Crashed at 4am and did not get up to bow hunt! Sunday was spent skinning and cutting down all the meat of both pigs (one needed to be taken to the car wash and power washed, you should have seen the looks!) . Oh, when I get home I find one of the freezers has gone out. I just replaced a garage fridge last Monday! I gave away all the meat today as the other 2 freezers are full of the broken freezers meat! I did keep the spotted pigs hide to be tanned! Going back to the ranch tomorrow evening to hunt the cold front.

Gotta love those piebalds. GREAT shot placement! Nothing like noggin'-knockers!!!! Good luck with the cold front. I hope they are moving for you!

I'm kind of using a new gun to...it's the Weatherby .243 I bought my son last year. That thing is a tack driver. I didn't have to use the nippers on the spines, they are gone! The heads fall off when I cut the meat.

You puttin' growth hormones in the deer corn again? :-) Those are some big pigs!

Nice Shooting! Our pigs are covered in dust....inches of it! I just wish it was mud! I bet the faces at the car wash were pretty humorous! lol

What was more fun, shooting the hogs or the looks at the car wash? Most of the hogs I've seen in Fisher Co. are spotted.....my daughter had to stop in the road the other night while 30 or so crossed the road in front of her.

I bought a power washer to use from now on. I needed one for the boat anyway. More rain coming Wed. or Thurs. I may need to clean another pig this week.