Illegal to Butcher for Consumption?

I didn't see last night's newscast on Texas hog hunting, but my wife caught a portion. We are puzzled by what she thought she heard - that it is illegal to butcher feral hogs. As I said, she only caught a snippet, but what's up with that? Can someone shed some light on this topic? Thanks, Andrew

Site Owner
    Andrew, I think the newscast she was talking about was Wednesday night's episode of ABC Nightline. They came and filmed a hunt with us a couple of months ago and it just aired Wednesday night. During on of the interviews, they asked what happened to the meat from all of the hogs. We told them that if the clients wanted the meat, they were welcome to it.....but if the clients didn't want it, there's not a lot we can do with it. There are a lot of restrictions when it comes to pork, that don't exist for venison. You're perfectly free to process your own meat or to carry it to a processor though. We have a lot of folks that say " Call me the next time you get some hogs.". That sounds fine at 2:00 in the afternoon, but it's a different story at 2:00 in the morning! If the clients don't want it, there's not a lot we can do....Sad but True. Here's a link to the ABC Nightline segment. http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/vide...-hogs-15874111

Yes! I showed the segment to my wife and she was immediately able to identify that was the broadcast she saw. Thank you for clarifying the matter, as I certainly enjoy and have the goal of 'filling the freezer' whether it is fishing, bird hunting, or deer hunting, or (now) hog hunting. I'm looking forward to getting into the sport. Thank you again, Andrew I wish I lived in your area. I'd be happy to be called at 2 in the morning to harvest some pork loins. When we lived in Iowa the sherrif, patrol, and conservation officers coordinated to keep a list of people that would pick up road kill. When a deer was killed, still fresh, relatively intact, the driver didn't want it, and your name was next on the list then they would give you a call. If you could pick it up then they would meet you, tag it, and you could take it home. If you couldn't get it then they moved to the next name on the list. The process worked pretty slick and was a nice way to put some extra venison in the freezer.