Green light or red light?

All you experienced hog hunters: What is the best answer to this question: Do green lights work any better than red lights? My first thought is that it doesn't really make that much of a difference, other factors are more important than red or green lights. Please don't answer with "scientific rhetoric", just want to know from anyone who has been "in the trenches" with hogs. Thanks! I will be in your great state for my annual spring break pig hunt, up near whichita falls...

Quote Originally Posted by lrhog View Post
    All you experienced hog hunters: What is the best answer to this question: Do green lights work any better than red lights? My first thought is that it doesn't really make that much of a difference, other factors are more important than red or green lights. Please don't answer with "scientific rhetoric", just want to know from anyone who has been "in the trenches" with hogs. Thanks! I will be in your great state for my annual spring break pig hunt, up near whichita falls...

I personally have a green light; my wife a red light. I don't think there is a lot of difference. We both prefer our color so it may be individual taste. I think the green goes a little bit further but the red has a little less shadow. I think either will work for you if you turn it on pointed toward the sky & SLOWLY bring it to target. From our experience, it is the shadow they see that makes the big ones take off. Patience is the key to bringing a light into play unless they haven't experienced it or there is a light normally at the feeder. Once you take one or two out with your light, the remainder of the sounder becomes much smarter. Good luck & happy hunting!

I use a red light and your advice on "pointing to the sky" is right on IMO. Good advice!

Simply put, hogs do not see red as well as green. They certainly do not see red as red, though it may appear to be gray or some other shade to them, but they do see something. In my testing with lights, hogs not looking toward the light were startled more often with green and white lights than red while drinking water at a water hole. So red was not noticed as much, but when looking toward me and lighting them up directly, all could be spooked with any of the three colors, though again, red seemed less bothersome. These were limited test with maybe a dozen hogs over a 2 hour time frame in one evening.

With that said, it was harder for me to make out detail on the hogs with the red light than with green or white. This makes picking a particular spot on the hog more difficult at which to aim. So the red spooked less, but was more difficult to use, especially with darker hogs.

I'd say the same as above! Start over the hogs and bring the light slowly down on them. I was so excited when I got my ND3 at first but kept scaring them off, tried this method and bingo baby!

Congrats! We all started out the same way till someone schooled us too. Keep knocking them down!

I've found my Pulsar N750 to be way more effective though lol