Thread: GoPro's

GoPro's

Going to start playing with these this weekend and see what happens.....

Last edited by SirVival; 06-20-2013 at 07:38 PM.
    6 Yrs. - 399 Hunts - 196 Hogs - 49.12% Ratio

Good test results. Was able to have 50% strength signal at 110 yds. today and able to switch all 3 cameras 'on' and to 'record' mode in 46 seconds. This was line of sight testing, although it was in the subdivision with several possible sources of unknown interference. I'm happy! Now just need to find time to get out in the woods for a real-world scenario test. If everything works as I hope it does, it's going to be so cool to sit at the front stand and be able to video monitor the feeders in the back. Can't wait!!!

Site Owner
    Keep us posted ! One big problem may be battery life on the cameras....the wifi on mine really likes batteries!

Good Luck !
    Clark Osborne - TexasHogHunter.com Owner / Admininistrator

Type 07 FFL / Class 2 SOT (Manufacturer-Suppressors, full-auto etc., Night Vision/Thermal Sales)

www.cottonwoodarmory.com

www.TacticalHogControl.com ......We don't Fear the Night,,,,,We OWN it!

Guided Night Vision and Thermal Hog hunts

Good Point! Haven't done that test yet, but will do that today. The box list the battery life as 9.6 hours, and the plan as of now is to simply have the Wi-Fi on at the feeders, and then actually turn the camera on when I hear or see hog activity coming in.

Got in the woods yesterday and played, everything went smooth and as planned, except for monitoring the feeder at the back of the property. I couldn't get more than 65 yds. away without loosing the signal. It is in an area of very dense woods, so I learned that line of sight is definitely relative to strength of signal.

Also learned that even though all the camera's are Hero3's, the White, Silver, and Black editions, even on the same settings, record at slightly different contrast/sturation levels. You could probably readjust all the footage during the editing process, but it would take awhile to get everything just right. I went back and got 3 more white's to eliminate the problem.

Set up all 4 cams yesterday around the front feeder, all 90 degrees apart and did some basic testing with the video. Everything came out great! Even got the fish eye effect of the lens to go away with some stabilization manipulation during editing ! ; )

Now if I can just get the hogs to cooperate, it should make for some interesting hunting footage...We shall see!....
    Last edited by SirVival; 06-23-2013 at 10:30 AM.

How are these working out for you? Looked at these last week.

Still in "Beta" phase I guess. It's interesting. The batteries on all the camera's with the wi-fi on in the house last for 11.5 hours. Take the same cameras out in the field and they all will only last 2.5 hours with the on-board battery. So my solution (in theory at least), is to run a 50 ft. USB cable from each camera at the feeder through a buried plastic conduit to a waterproof 'dropbox' burried in the ground which contains 4 110 converter plugs in a power strip that is connected to an extension cord (above ground) that will run to my blind where in will plug into an inverter that will be running off a deep cycle 12-volt marine battery. I know, I know.....excessive. But I love a good project. I just think it would be so cool to have 4 different angles of a hog kill. Gives me something to work on anyway!....Will post results after everything is in place.....